Yama Yoga is an organisation that derives our purpose from Yama- the first limb of yoga. We are more than just a sustainable activewear brand – we're a movement. With a deep commitment to nurturing sustainable practices, our collection is a tribute to yoga's initial step towards self-awareness and interconnectedness.
As we embark on the journey of discovering the magic of yoga, let us begin by understanding the 8 limbs of yoga and the principles of Yama and how they help us as a brand to become better individuals.
Unravelling the 8 limbs of Yoga
Yoga as a practice has gained tremendous popularity not just in terms of practice, but also in terms of study. In order to fully be able to soak in the beauty of yoga, there is a need for us to understand it in its true essence. As per Patanjali's Yoga sutras, there are 8 limbs of yoga or as popularly known as the Ashtanga Yoga System. The 8 limbs of yoga can be understood from below:
- Yama : This deals with restraints, moral disciplines or moral vows.
- Nimya: This has to do with positive observations and duties.
- Asana: It refers to the postures.
- Pranayama: It is related to various breathing techniques.
- Pratyahara: It means sensory withdrawal.
- Dharana: This is related to focused concentration.
- Dhyana: This limb is in relation to meditative absorption.
- Samadhi: This limb is connected with bliss and enlightenment.
Together, it is these 8 limbs of yoga that help form the basis and create a holistic practice that not only soothes the body, but calms your mind and helps it become one.
Yama Yoga is inspired by the 8 limbs of yoga and having incorporated elements of them into our brand, we are committed to helping you and the earth at the same time.
The 5 Principles Of Yama That Fuel Us
As we have already seen, the first limb of yoga- Yama stands for moral disciplines. Yama is largely concerned with the general surroundings and how we as individuals interact with it. There are 5 key Yamas, each of which are core to our business and how we function.
- Ahimsa or Non-Violence : Yama Yoga is a sustainable brand that believes in nurturing the environment and sustainable growth. We do not indulge in any practices that harm the environment and are committed to fostering collective growth.
- Satya or truthfulness : Our brand is centred around honesty and hence all our manufacturing processes are focused on truthful manufacturing.
- Asatya or not stealing : Our sustainable practices are committed towards fair acquisition of materials and a good manufacturing system. We believe in creating a holistic business environment.
- Brahmacharya or right use of energy : As a business, we are built on only the fair use of resources from nature. We believe in sustainable sourcing of materials from nature to help create an ecological balance.
- Aparigraha or non-greed : Fair treatment of our employees and workers is central to our organisation. We believe in working only with appropriate labour standards in place and ensure fair pay to all our workers coupled with a good work culture.
Yama Yoga is committed to creating and fostering sustainability through every step of the journey. By sourcing ecological material and creating a well balanced environment for our entire team and creating only the best quality, sustainable wear for our customers, Yama Yoga aims at spreading the magic of yoga, one day at a time.